Tuesday 29 July 2014

The Moatman Interviews -S2- No.5 'The one with the funny' Featuring @AhhgeeProd Part 2

>>RECAP>> Last week on the Moatman Interviews.... Boff realised that he'd taped over an OU Geography lecture from the early 1980s when making the AhhGee Interview tape....*sound of news at 10 bongs* ....Andy Harland admitted that he gives women blokes names, but for non-sexy reasons...*more bongs*...Michael Bell once got asked if he had the time on his cock... *Sound of church bells*...and Grax realised that he was supposed to be writing a comedy show for the Edinburgh Fringe! *sound of sirens*

Yes, hello my darlings we're back in my underground lair to watch the second half of the Moatman Interviews with the lovely lads at AhhGee productions who were back stage after a warm up Podcast for their impending stint at the Edinburgh Fringe. Now, has everyone been for a wee? and are you all sitting comfortable, yes you Gibbs at the back I'm talking to you too. Then let us begin. *Wellington wheels in a big CRT television on a trolley still paused at the point we left off last week with Andy trying to take a slurp of his UmBungo drink. 

*Boff closes the curtains and then presses play on the tape* Again for the purposes of today's interview Mr Andy will be replying in red, Grax will be replying in green and in a cool blue, much like himself, Mr Michael Bell's replies will be in blue.

*The television flickers momentarily and then springs back to life, opening on a backstage dressing room where Grax and Andy are sitting on a two seater sofa and Michael has got up to make himself a cup of hot bovril from the small kettle next to a large mirror* 

Well now guys, it's great to see that things are going swimmingly and that you're just about set for the Edinburgh Fringe, but of cause you also manage to find time to fit a regular podcast show (see http://ahhgeeproductions.com/) with its own army of fans and listeners. So I would like to ask how are things going with the AhhGee nation? you seem to have quite a roster of job titles racked up for your followers already?



I know, I find it hard to believe myself. It’s been 6 weeks and people are still sending in applications to be part of the nation. I’ve lost track of who exactly is in the nation! I think we’re gonna have to create some kind of web page or online group or something to keep an eye on everyone.

Well first of all as King I would like to be addressed in the correct manner, not thrown in with the rest of my flunkies. The Nation is going strong, we need a map and a flag then we can start to invade our rivals. Grax is right I think we need a facebook page for the nation so folk can request and see if we promote them for services to the nation.

As official ambassador of the #AhhGeeNation I take it upon myself to engage with our royal subjects, mainly because King Bell point blank refuses. I'm not sure of the numbers but I would say we are nearly up to 25 royal subjects. That's a population four times larger than bude Cornwall. We now have a shop, a tuck shop (in the castle), a bar, a karaoke queen, a witch, a Lady Quip, an urban gymnast but no wombles... Strange. 


*Boff ponders a moment what an AhhGee nation might be like with the wombles in it, at first idyllic with the wombles ensuring all public areas are neat and tidy, but slowly it dawns upon Boff the horror that would unfold. Within their kleptomanic tendencies and Bungo's insistence on being chief Drum n Bass DJ, so that it could be played around the clock 24 hours a day.* *Boff Shudders* no, I think the AhhGee nation is just fine being free of Wombles. 

After last week's solo questions for Andy and Michael it is now time to turn our attention to the remaining member of the gang and probe a little more deeply into the mind of Grax. You've recently returned from adventures down under, after the failed 'C-food diet' incident, I'd like to ask you what culinary adventures you've discovered in Oz?

I think the most adventurous thing that I ate over there was kangaroo meat. I set out to eat some local wildlife and I succeeded. Turns out ‘roo meat is tougher and less flavoursome compared to beef. Maybe that’s why cow is often the preferred meat to eat. The next meat for me to eat would be koala.

Interesting stuff, I always thought that non-descript meats tasted like chicken, I've also noticed that you quite like a spot of the old clown make-up, that'll make former guest @webbpaganfinger (see Series 1 episode 3) pleased. Have you ever turned up at a social occasion in clown guise and how did it go??

Funny you should say that. I went to work one day (my day-job) dressed up like a clown for the UK national charity event Comic Relief. From clown face to red nose to big wig. I found out that one of my work colleagues has a small fear of clowns. I had fun creeping next to him and then he would creep away. The thing is I really tried my hardest to look not-scary! 

Here’s a video of my clown-face on: http://youtu.be/5XOUk2a0b5k

Indeed, and talking of Grax's adventures down-under the recent podcasts has featured the rather dulcet tones of Teresa Coyne, do you have any plans to lady-fy your future podcasts? and does Grax fill left out after missing her guest slot?

You damn right I feel left out! I love doing the show and I love talking to lovely ladies. I really should stop going away.

ARE WE NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU????? Sir I am insulted. There are some brilliant friends that are woomins that I would have to have on the show but the problem is I am inclined to fall in love with them, and Andy will just be awkward or tweet at them until there is court action so it is best all round we don’t.

So we really aren’t allowed women on the show, Teresa was the safe option, her repulsive looks and personality meant we could do a show for a couple of weeks with her without fear….I have been great friends with her for ages now, if I complimented her she would think I have done something wrong.

We are working with the wonderful Adele Cliff, or to give her full name Adele ‘ARRRGGGH THERE’S A CLIFF’ Cliff, who is a great friend of mine and stupidly talented lady for the Fringe show and I am sure we will chuck her on the show before hand.  She is also the one that came up with the DING whenever I say my name at the fringe last year. 

I just want to make it clear that I have not driven any woman to a court appearance yet. (Mainly because I don't drive into town much), however we as an equal opportunities podcast shall be bringing lady voices to your ears soon.. Especially as the King stated in the form of the lovely Adele Cliff. In fact you have had three other lady voices on the show already in Adele (@adelesramblings) , Katie Lady Quip Ruane (@swearing_queen) and a former interviewee in the wonderful Emma (@emmapashmina) (see Series 1 episode 9).

Let's also not forget the fantastic new #AhhGeeInterviews which has already seen two very talented ladies interviewed in their own bonus editions. 
www.ahhgeeproductions.com/category/interviews

*laughs* Brilliant, and what does the future hold for AhhGee? we've not even touched upon your comedy clips yet like mundane reporter and wolfman, what's in store next?

I would say that our plan right now is to do more of what we’re currently doing. Not just more podcasts but do more videos, do more interviews, do some more shows. We’re aiming to be HUGE!

Cough Cough, watch DingandJones as well please, a youtoobe double act i’m in.  There will be more ahhgee videos, plans are afoot and the crayons are out for writing sketches.


It's an exciting time time for AhhGee, we're just over a year old with plenty of sketches on our YouTube and a "quite good" podcast series plus the live show in the mix, I'm certain of plenty more to come in the coming months and beyond, plus a few surprises along the way I'm sure. That's the best thing about the show, it's dynamic and consistently introduces us to lots of new people. 

well gentlemen I can hear the sound of your tour bus pulling up (sounds scarily like an ice cream van), so that must mean that our interview is just about at an end. it's been brilliant visiting you and as I'm away from home territory it also means you've managed to survive without a womble infestation so I would like to end with a quick fire question on who are your comedy gods and why?

Oh you sod, we could be here some time with this question.

Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer - because it is Vic sodding Reeves, I remember watching shooting stars when I was about 8 and without wanting to sound like a complete wanker it utterly changed my life and way of thinking.  The Randall and Hopkirk deceased came out when I was maybe 11 and blew my mind, obsession started from there really.

I managed to go to most recordings of House of Fools and finally met Bob last year, which genuinely was a life ambition achieved. I have met Vic once at a book signing but I couldn’t actually talk to him, I became a statue so my girlfriend at the time did all the talking, then when we broke up she took the bloody book the bastard or whatever a lady bastard is called.

I also think Vic is just an amazing actor, look at him in Eric and Ernie as Eric’s dad or in Hebburn he is wonderful, even in Brainiac or his kids show Ministry of Curious Stuff he was chuffing brilliant , he is also an incredible artist...what a guy.

Morecombe and Wise and Eddie Braben- I did used to watch as a kid at christmas because that is the law, but in my 20s was when my full appreciation and addiction started really.  What more needs to be said about them really, the best double act of all time and some of the best comedy writing ever from the man Eddie.

Lee and Herring- Now this is a borderline obsession.  It started back in the 90s and never stopped.  I couldn’t even begin to tell you how much love I have for these two idiots.  I have followed Herring around the country and probably paid for a good few months of his rent in ticket sales and merch.

Eddie Izzard- Because dressed to kill show made me realise that comedy was a thing you could do.  It made me understand how you could take ideas, run with them and they would be funny.  Until then I just thought comedians were magic.
I wore out 3 copies of the vhs of that show and I am onto my second dvd of it, changed my life.

Billy Connolly- Very similar reasons, Billy Bites your bum and a few other of his early shows again I wore the tapes out,  it made me realise you could tell stories about life and folk would laugh.

Red Dwarf - Just obsessed with it, as a child...and still now but don’t tell anyone will make me sound like a nerd.
Actually to any ladies reading, I work with kids, I am a good guitar player and love long walks on the beach.

Men Behaving Badly- Yes, Yes I know it has dated and the whole ladism of the 90s is played to death but it is a sodding great show and Simon Nye was at the peak of his powers for it.

Comic Strip - I picked up on it again at a foolishly early age, what a show, what a cast, just wonderful.  You can pick up the box set for like £20 just buy it (other boxsets are available)

I also adored Linda Smith.  Peacock and Gamble I fail to find words how much I love them as with Pappys, as a group they are brilliant, Tom Parry’s hour at the Mach fest in 2013 was and is one of the best hours of my life, just brilliant.  Tom Basden is amazing as well.  Have to include Python but I still haven’t forgiven them for not getting a seat to see them at the o2.

I won’t go on...but I could, I really bloody could.

Erm, bell... It's not all you mate...

Firstly, mr Moatman, thank you for the opportunity to chat today...

I grew up on some wonderful comedy, my first ever comedy idol was the very great, late Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson in Bottom. Around that time I also loved shows like men behaving badly, alas smith and jones, fist of fun (Lee and Herring), Harry Enfield and chums, the fast show, the day today, Alan partridge, the young ones, the office, Phoenix nights,

My favourite stand up comedians include Bill Bailey, Tim Minchin, Billy Connelly, Nina Conti, Tony Law, Alex Horne (both soon to appear in interviews), Peter Kay (sorry mike), Arthur Smith, Bill Cosby, Jimmy Carr, Harry Hill, Stewart Lee, Richard Herring, Bob Slayer, Tiff Stevenson, Alan Davies, Al Murray, Kevin Eldon, Jo Brand, Eddie Izzard, Milton jones, Frank Skinner, Lucy Porter, Jack Dee, Johnny Vegas, Mark Watson, Pippa Evans, Dave Gorman, David Baddiel.... It really is a difficult question, but I think that is a pretty reasonable list to start with. 

I tell you who I don’t like, Michael McIntyre. I think he is a hack who relies too much on over the top gesture to sell observational humour, he just doesn’t make me laugh. However I have a selection of comedians that I like and respect for different reasons. I like the comedy stylings of Doug Standhope and George Carlin because they reflect upon how rubbish people and life is in a funny way. I deeply respect early Bill Cosby standup because he made me laugh out loud during one of his stand up shows while using only one swear word (which is quite a mild word nowadays). I like Bill Bailey because of the random subject matters that pop up during his comedy set. My list goes on.

and with that the trio are being ushered out the door and onto the next exciting adventure, at the same time the recording comes to an end and flips into the previous footage of a presenter who looks suspiciously like Boff Moatman in a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches talking about tectonic shift. *the lights come back on and we're back in the room again, the CRT TV doing the weird snow effect* Ah there you are, well another interview at an end and exciting times indeed for the AhhGee Production crew, good luck at the Fringe lads! you can find out more about AhhGee at their website http://ahhgeeproductions.com/ or trawling around twitter @AhhgeeProd




No comments:

Post a Comment