Tuesday 28 June 2016

The Moatman Interviews -S5- No.10 'Mountaineering' ft @CJ44549 (Moody Patooty)

The cameras open on a quaint English backgarden on a sunny afternoon, deep in the heart of the Bristolian riviera. There in the middle of the lawn is pitched a beautiful yellow tent, which houses not only our host, but today's intrepid guest, who will be telling Boff all about her trip up Mount Everest. The camera pans around to the open flaps and peers inside to reveal both Boff and our dear friend Moody Patooty, holding a pint of cider sat on matching bean bags. Strangely on the inside of the tent it feels a lot more cramped and decidedly noisy. A loud cacophony can be heard outside the tent which can only be described as being like Kenneth Williams and Frankie Howerd running round and round shouting 'woo!'

Patooty leans across and makes hand gestures to indicate she can't make herself heard, to which Boff sticks his head out of the tent shouting a set of instructions. "Ahem, sorry about that", he replies coming back in. "Thank god, what was all that noise about Boff?". "errr the Wombles were trying to recreate the noise of the harsh winds on Everest to make our interview more atmospheric" Says Boff. Once he explains the odd wooing noises, Patooty wets herself laughing, "I'm not sure they got it right but thank them for trying" she says taking a sip of cider and adjusting her glasses still laughing. "I've sent them indoors now, your daughter said she'd give them all a makeover", replies Boff, which just makes Patooty laugh even more.

Hail fellows!, Says Boff, and welcome to another Moatman Interview, coming to you live from inside a yellow tent, on a lawn. Now, today's guest is a fun loving girl about town, work hard, play hard, and intrepid adventurer to boot, having scaled Mount Everest no less. Yes, today's guest, sharing a tent with me is Moody Patooty! *Patooty grins and waves at the camera*, "yes, Boff, and as we are sharing a tent I do hope you haven't been eating baked beans!" Laughs Patooty. "I can tell you're going to be a whole lot of mischief" replies Boff also chuckling. Okay, then lets get started with this interview then. I like to ease my guests in with a couple of gentle questions, so I'd like to begin by asking you what the night life in Bristol is like? is it wall to wall cultural icons, Banksy at the bar, Portishead over at Maccers, Tricky arm wrestling with Damien Hirst in the dog and ferret?

Bristol nightlife! Mmmm personally I prefer Bristol day life! Especially in the summer! A few ciders in the sunshine in Bristol is one of my fave things. Night time in Bristol can be a bit of a mixture and sometimes I feel a little old and maybe my skirt is too long! I've tried to dance with Cary Grant in millennium square but he's a little stiff!!

I see, that's not like Cary laughs Boff, mind you he has been quite rigid for a while, anyway,  being something of a cultural icon yourself, what's the weirdest thing you've seen when you've been out and about around your home town?

The weirdest thing?!? Apart from some of my outfits.... Gloucester Road is a good place to see lots of different characters. When I was younger you couldn't go anywhere without seeing Stan The Man, in his vest tops tiny shorts and roller skates! He'd skate absolutely everywhere! Loved him!

N'awwww I do like a good local celebrity, every town and city has their Stan the Man, and perhaps in a related theme, how would you say Bristol is different from Mount Everest?

I don't think Stan the man would do well in his roller skates in Nepal or trekking to base camp! Bristols a little flatter and I much prefer the food here in Bristol, that and the fact I don't have to rely on a yak to carry my stuff!!

Ooooh you'll have to try one of Dirty Sid's curries, it'll make your toes curl and put hairs on your chest. hahahah, sorry I couldn't resist, and seeing as we've come to the topic of Mountains, perhaps a few key questions, firstly what on earth made you want to climb a Mountain?!

Right ok.... I didn't actually make it all the way to the summit of Everest! I trekked to base camp! And I wanted to do it firstly to raise money for charity and secondly to challenge myself and do something that not many people I know would ever get the chance to do! We had a sponsor so that made it easier too!

ahhhh I see, that's still a heck of a way up though isn't it, and what preparations did you have before going? did you have to do any special training for being at high altitudes?

Nope!!!! My other team mates all did a few hilly walks but i just put the treadmill on incline! Surely that's the same right?! I couldn't train for the altitude as I'm not loaded enough to gain access to anything like that!!!

You should have said, we could have put you on the Wimbledon special training scheme, I've got the Rocky sound track on casette tape and bags of shopping you could have used for weight training. Mind you the ducks around here are lethal as soon as they get a whiff of food. So anyway, when you were actually on the climb, were there any points where you were in fear of your own life? what kind of emotional journey did you go on?

So even though I didn't reach the summit, the climb to base camp is very serious as people still suffer serious side effects of the altitude! The only time I feared for my life was when I used one of the outside loos on our last stop before base camp, it smelled so bad my initial instinct was to hold my breath! At that altitude that was really not a good idea! My life flashed before me as I went very dizzy and nearly ended up falling through the hole straight into the pit of hell!!!! I can smell it now just thinking about it!!!!

Y'ouch that sounds biblical, but it must have been pretty special when you reached the top? did you have any euphoric girl on top of the world moments?

Well okay, Boff, I'm not sure how to answer this one because it was quite a personal experience for me. When I got to base camp, I had all the emotions you'd expect as well as being extremely cold as it was snowing. When I decided to do it my step grandad had recently been told he had terminal cancer he told me how proud he was of me and the last time I saw him I held his face I told him I was gonna do it for him!!! I'd also recently lost my cousin and God mum to cancer too so I took a flag up with there with their names on to leave! So as you can imagine the tears were flowing. As well as the fact I hadn't seen my children for two weeks and my son was heartbroken and I miss them madly!!!

Oh my goodness, I can imagine, that's a wonderful way to celebrate their life, ok then, so coming home to your family again must have been a special moment too, did they spoil you rotten? and did you get them any good souvenirs?

I arrived home in the middle of the night and had to go back to work and school the next day, so I woke my boy up and as soon as he saw me he burst into tears! I will never forget that moment!!! I bought them some yak wool blankets, and one for myself, it goes everywhere with me. Also some Buddhist prayer flags and lots of lovely Himalayan tea!

Mmmmm I do love a good cup of tea, and now you're home and back to reality, so I also wanted to ask you some questions about your everyday life to. I know you're studying at the moment, as well as holding down a job, is that proving tough? and how do you manage to juggle all these things?


Yes I'm studying, currently have three assignments left to do and I will graduate in November!! Yay! It's been extremely hard what with working and running a house and being the taxi driver!!! I've just handed in my notice with my current job, I have no job to go too but it needed to be done! This made me very happy! So it's last assignments and job hunting for me! With fitting in seeing my ace friends and drinking far to many thatchers!!!!!


And let's not forget the rugby! Bristol finally back in the prem!!! Yeeeesssss!! Brrriiisssstooll!!

Hahahaha indeed work hard, play hard, and what is the plan after your studies? are you going to hit the lecture circuit and be one of those cool explorer types?

Well the plan after studies at the moment is errrmmmm find a new job I guess!! Who knows what!?! I am currently the butt of my friends jokes and I might be getting a job in kfc!

Well if you do end up working at KFC can you get me mates rates *winks* I also know you have good set of friends around you, so how do you let your hair down? and when do you feel at your most happy?

As mentioned already I have the bestest friends and family, my friends have same age children so that's great. I'm a very social person and when it's the weekend I hate to be stuck in. It's currently Saturday night and I'm in but it's bank holiday weekend so it's super cider Sunday tomorrow with my friends minus children!!! Also I have great neighbours who are now also very good friends and many a drunken stagger home from the pub to their house happens as well as them bursting in on their way back from the pub to carry on the party!!! I love my extended rugby family and have many great days and nights at the club, incidentally that's where super cider is happening tomorrow. BBQ and supporting England against Wales cmon England!!!!

Ahhh yes the Rubgy, and obviously you're also close to your daughter, are you like partners in crime when you're out and about? what's the thing you're most proud about your daughter?

Me and my princess pants! We have our ups and downs! She 13 and full of attitude but she's the most caring and lovely person you'd ever wish to meet! She's fab with her younger brother and everyone she meets tells me how lovely she is, so I can forgive the attitude she has with me! She's absolutely beautiful and she makes me proud just being her!!! Both my children make me super proud!! Love them to infinity and beyond!!

N'awwww Patooty! Well our interview is almost at an end, so perhaps one last question then, what would be your best advice for sharing a tent with someone? particularly if they're of the opposite sex?

Sharing a tent! Always pre warn when there is a gas escape to give them a chance to vacate! That's the most important! Other than that if we are sharing a tent what's yours is mine so any midnight feasts you best be sharing!!!!!

hahahahaha, as if I'd hog the snacks, me, *innocent face* *Boff and Patooty chink glasses and take a long slurp of cider* ahhh my guest is a scamp and no mistake. Well that's it my loves, not just the end of another interview but the end of another series, and just in time for Wimbledon to start, anybody would think I plan these things. Take care of yourselves my lovelies and have a good summer. Adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment