Tuesday 7 June 2016

The Moatman Interviews -S5- No.7 'Modern art' featuring @Dawnymock

The Cameras open on a light and airy art studio, where a dozen or so artists are busy applying paint to their canvasses. On the stage a nude young woman is draped over a tall chair, doing her best to make the most of her womanly curves. The art teacher wanders around the back of the class surveying her students works, with an encouraging word here or a guiding hand there. The model on the stage remaining motionless except for the slight movement of her ribs as she breathes. At this point the circular clock on the wall strikes eleven o'clock, and the teacher claps her hands. "Okay, that's enough for today, please rotate so the next class can begin". The students pack up their things and the model puts on her dressing gown before leaving the stage through a little door at the back.

As one class leaves through one door, the next class enters the room through another. A dozen art students wander into the room chatting and setting up their easels. Amongst them an elderly gent with a big grey beard and an auburn haired lady discussing the finer points of art. "Hail fellows!" Calls Boff, as he sets down a small glass of water and wets his brushes. Today we're taking an art class with one of Canada's finest. An artist, inventor, mother, and all round good egg. Yes, today's guest on the Moatman interviews is Dawn Mockler (@DawnyMock). Before Dawn can introduce herself the next 'life model' enters the room from the back. It's none other than @DirtySid (see Episode 3, Series 3) who comes in carrying a bowl of something steaming which he proudly presents to the art teacher, whispering something in her ear. He then clambers on to the stage, throwing off his dressing gown before placing a fist on each hip and forming a striding pose.

Dawn sits agog for a full thirty seconds not knowing where to look, before turning to Boff. "He's with you isn't he?" she says half flabbergasted, half irked. "The male form is just as beautiful as the female form is" replies Boff. "I knew you'd try and pull something like this" says Dawn, before continuing "I don't embarrass that easily you know Mr Moatman". Dawn picks up a pencil and begins to trace lines on her canvass, paying attention to the 'life model' on the stage who breaks pose from time to time to wave or wink at the art students. "Ah, I'm sorry" Says Boff, "I couldn't resist, and you have to admit, he does make interesting subject matter", so anyway, lets not get too distracted, I did have a few questions for you. So to begin, perhaps a gentle, ahem 'warm up', question, before we get to the more weighty topics. To help my audience get to know you, which five words would you use to describe yourself and why?

Wow, you are making me think!  Funny and shy, those go together. One to cope with the other.  Strong.  I don't give up.  Caring.  Oh, and creative.  Even as a child I was drawing, knitting, writing silly commercials for the tape recorder with my sisters

N'awww that sounds like a fine selection my darling, and I do think it catches your essence well. So then perhaps continuing on a similiar introductory theme; as a resident of New Brunswick, what can you tell us about your home. What's it like? and how does Canada differ from the USA?

New Brunswick is very beautiful, lots of open spaces, as my friend's old boyfriend described it, "Miles and Miles of effing trees".  Ha ha  But you know I love trees. Fredericton has the best of both worlds, with the beautiful Saint John River for kayaking: many miles of trails for running/biking, Odell Park with so many mature trees. There is also a strong arts community, you can hike in the morning, listen to Symphony New Brunswick in the evening, and not have to take your car!

In terms of the difference between Americans and Canadians, Hmm... Canadians are funnier, don't you think?  Ha ha Sean Cullen, the late John Candy, Catherine O" Hara.  And we apologize more.  Sorry.  It's true.

hahaha no need to apologise! well I can't comment on the humour, I come from a very traditionally British sense of humour, but I do agree that John Candy was hilarious. Uncle Buck and Space Balls are a couple of classics, and who can forget Planes, Trains and Automobiles, *Boff allows himself a moment to chuckle at the dancing alien scene from Space balls* Okay then missy, that's enough of the warm up stuff, lets get back to the more artistic stuff, how would you describe your style? Are you more of an artist or an illustrator?

More of an artist I think.  My cartoons are only for fun. They haven't been published.  I am a physiotherapist and art is my way of unwinding.

mmmm okay, but I do think you're selling yourself short, there's a wry wit in your cartoons and quite a dry sense of humour that plays on the human spirit. Which reminds me, like others who have graced our interviews, your work also tends to carry a message or reflect experiences from real life. So I wanted to ask what inspires your art-work?

I love to make people laugh, a few people got a kick out of my scribbles so I kept drawing them.  For me it has become like a crossword puzzle: let's see if I can do one today. My teens are my test audience - if they smile I know it's good! 

My paintings are often inspired by nature.  I seem to get the best response when I paint trees.  Miles and miles of trees ha ha

*Boff laughs* we have quite a few trees on Wimbledon Common too you know. That and park benches, dog bins, empty cans of Thunderbird and White Lightning cider, it's quite the happening place I can assure you. Anyway, making people smile and laugh sounds like a pretty good motivation to me, and in terms of the art, what other inspirations do you have? are there any particular artists, or authors who inspire you? I do detect something of the Quentin Blake and Michael Heath in your style :)


Thank you Boff, somebody else compared my work to Quentin Blake before, he is so wonderful!  I'm not worthy!  I always loved Ben Wick's style, loved how he got his point across in the fewest lines possible.  I have every book Gary Larson ever published.  He is like a god to me.  Don't get me started.  I remember reading about Mary Pratt who got back to painting when her children were young.  She would set up in the dining room and just paint.  Making the time.  Now that's what I do!

Indeed, I know several other budding artists and writers on Twitter who juggle family life and their artistic pursuits. I'm in awe of all of you, it really isn't easy, so I do appreciate the determination. I also, think that your artwork does capture the human spirit well. So I wanted to ask what do you make of modern society? and our place within it?
Thank you Boff!   I think modern society is getting it right in some areas.  Let people dress the way they want to dress, marry whomever they choose.  I think we are failing in our relationship with nature.  Clear cutting forests and planting one species of tree to replace it.  Overfishing.  Not respecting the balance.  I will get off of my soap box now ha ha
ahhh see I knew you were a nature lover. I must admit I do sometimes worry about the Common, it can only be a matter of time before they decide to start builing houses on it. Too close to London you see, valuable land. If things get dicey, I'll call in that Swampy bloke, he knows a thing or two about helping protect natural land. Cause with the Newbury by-pass they lost, but Swampy does know a lot... ahem anyway, the point is we can see you're a nature lover, particularly birds, so I wanted to ask you whether the natural environment is close to your heart?
I grew up in Belledune, New Brunswick, which is on New Brunswick's north shore.  The Bay of Chaleur was in my back yard.  I was always outside.  It is still my happy place.  To me a house is a place to hold by stuff while I go outside! My father is a bird lover too, when I am home to visit there is always a pair of binoculars and a Petreson field guide handy!

N'awww that's lovely, it sound very relaxed and of cause Canada is well known for it's natural beauty, what thing are you most proud of Canada for?
I am most proud of Canada for socialized medicine.  If you get sick here you are looked after, of course the beauty of the land as well, but we can't really take credit for that.

Well indeed, I also wanted to ask what kind of mother you are (active/laid-back/outdoorsy etc)? and what hopes and aspirations you have for your own children? any good pearls of wisdom you can share?

I have always been the active/outdoorsy Mom, now it is trickier to get the kids off their gadgets.  (My boys are still at home. They are 17 and 13.  My daughter has successfully launched and comes home for Sunday dinners) My hope is that my children will do something they enjoy, and find balance in their lives.  I hope my husband and I have set a good example.  Then again, they need something to tell their therapist!!
As for pearls of wisdom - a tough one.  I guess learning to let them make mistakes and face consequences.  Easy to say, so hard to do.
hahahah indeed, and also not to be ashamed about the human body, particularly if you're names Sid! Now then, there's also been talk on Twitter of your inventive side, so I wanted to ask what's all this 'Breadbun' malarky is about?
ahaha the "Beard" Bun - it's from a cartoon I drew, also my million dollar Dragon's Den idea.  You in??  Boff, it would look lovely on you!
"Beard" aaaah that makes more sense, Wombles mubble, I'm forever telling them to speak up. As for Beard Buns, I'm more of a 'let it hang free' kind of guy, as I'm sure others would attest. The mention of food however has made me hungry, despite the view, ahem, so then are you a dab hand in the kitchen? what's your signature dish? and who would you invite to dinner given the chance?
Ooh, I make a mean lasagna.  It is from my Mom's recipe.  Which isn't really written down.  If I buy too many brushes/paints at Michael's, I just make that dish.  All is forgiven. :)

hahahah excellent! we're almost at the end of our interview, and I have to admit your drawing looks better than mine, so perhaps I could be so kind as to ask you what you make of our life model? More importantly can you ever forgive me?

Oh Boff, I can never stay mad at you! Wait, you just gave me an idea - Man Bun South?! You in?
hahahaha Sid does look like he could need some tidying up doesn't he? Then again part of the reason my picture is so crap is because he is a bit wiggly and errr ahem, whispy... and on that bombshell, it's time to say goodbye for today, and we'll return next week with another of our interviews...

No comments:

Post a Comment