Wednesday 23 April 2014

The Moatman Interviews -S1- No.9 @Emmapashmina

After last week's excitement of the Merton Easter sweep stakes, Boff Moatman and the Wombles are back in the comfort of their subterranean home in Wimbledon Common. The Cameras open on a cavernous hall decked with lit candles and soft furnishings. Madame Cholet is arranging a selection of pies on a table by the wall and Uncle Bulgaria in his best butler's uniform is pouring glasses of wine.

"Hello my darlings!" calls Boff Moatman, "and welcome to the splendid home of the Wombles for another of our celebrity twitter interviews". This week's guest is a cultured lady of the arts, so we've done our best to set the right ambiance here in the heart of Wimbledon Common. Even Bungo has swapped his usual Drum n Bass beats for something more sophisticated. "Yes, this week's Wimbledon darling is none other than Emma Pashmina, we'll be discussing art, poetry and travel just as soon as she arrives"

Top-side wearing his best rain coat and dark glasses is Wellington who's doing his best to look incognito while patiently waiting for Emma to arrive before guiding her down a spiral staircase to where Boff and the other wombles are waiting. "Hello Boff!" calls Emma as she enters the hall having to duck a low hanging branch. "I'm so excited to be here, I've always wanted to meet a womble in person, and I love the effect you've got it's very 'Beauty and the Beast' from the Hamilton/Perlman era". Emma's wearing a beautiful flowing blue dress and carrying a case with a selection of her art work (as promised) which will be part of our afternoon's chat. After some introductions with the Wombles who are on their best behaviour we get Emma a nice glass of red wine and a comfortable seat.

Hello, and thank you for joining us Emma, I have so much I would like to ask you, but firstly  to help us warm up a little and to help our readers to get to known you a little better, what five words would you use to describe yourself?

*After pausing to think Emma answers* Artistic, quirky, funny, kind and friendly. 

Those are some good answers, I feel bad for putting you quite so on the spot now, perhaps we should go a little easier with the next one. What was the best joke you've heard recently?

I don't really remember jokes so I can't recite any to you. However the last time I laughed really hard was when I went to see Stewart Lee doing stand up. He doesn't really do 'jokes' in the typical sense. I love how he weaves stories in and refers back to topics from previous stories. He's a very clever man. I haven't watched any of his recent programmes as I don't have a TV. Shocking, I know!

Madame Cholet is surprised to hear that Emma doesn't own a TV. An avid fan of soap operas herself, she can often be found catching up with the comings and goings of the Dingles, or the Mitchells or whatever the family is called on Hollyoaks, but Emma confirms it's quite true and that she manages to survive okay without one. Boff then moves on to the next question; those of us that have had the pleasure of hearing your Audio-boos also know you have a lovely English voice, not least singing included in that. Can you tell us regarding 'accents', what accents you love the most and why?

Thanks! A few people have complimented me on my voice in the AudioBoos I did. I have a really generic southern England sort of accent and am mildly obsessed with more interesting ones. We have such a variety in Britain. Being half Welsh myself I do have a soft spot for Welsh accents. I also really like Geordie and Scouse accents. Softer Scottish and Irish accents are lovely too and can be quite sexy!

The interview is now briefly interrupted as we begin a round of pie testing. Madam Cholet first offers us a rhubarb crumble meets pie affair, before moving on to the blueberry and then a somewhat unusual marshmallow come toffee affair that leaves you with a odd caramel after taste. Emma politely samples each one before congratulating the womble baker with a thumbs up.

*Boff is still wiggling his tongue in his cheek trying to defuse the after taste of the last pie*, Emma gently also removes some crust that has got stuck in his beard. Ooh thank you, I hate when that happens, this pie really does linger a bit, I can still taste caramel and oddly marmite. Anyway perhaps now is a good time to take a look at your art work. *Emma presents Boff with the portfolio of work* ....beautiful, really beautiful, how would you describe your style? and what inspires you to create your works of art?
 
It's hard for me to describe my style. It's definitely colourful but it has evolved a lot over the years and it can vary depending on my mood and what's going on in my life. I get inspired by all kinds of things, music, photography, other artists, anything creative. Nature is obviously a big inspiration too.

..indeed, and many of your art pieces include quotes or references to poetry, are there any particular quotes or poems which are dear to you?

I love quotes. There is a danger that the kind of inspirational quotes I like could come across as twee and I expect a lot of more cynical people would regard them as such. However I have found them motivational and even comforting at times. I recently had a really tough time in my personal life and a friend of mine sent me a poem called Invictus by William Ernest Henley, which seemed to really resonate with me. I also like the saying 'Keep on keeping on'. My favourite quote at the moment is this one by Howard Thurman: 'Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive'

At this point Bungo decides to treat us to one of his favourite poems, although in truth it's more of a limerick and involves a lady from Ealing, before he can finish the oration Boff clasps his hand over Bungo's mouth and goes quite red. "Oh I do apologise how rude", Emma reassures Boff and says actually she's heard that one before, but much prefers the limerick about a Nympho called Alice. *Bungo sniggers*, is that the one that ends with Buckingham Palace? "Oh you've heard it too" laughs Emma, I do love a good giggle.

After another glass of red wine and a chance to regain his composure, Boff decides to change the direction of the conversation. now I would like to ask you a little bit about your travels, what part of the world has been the most fascinating for you?

I love to travel and I try to go to new places each time I go away. I have only been out of Europe once and that was to Marrakesh in March 2011. I found it beautiful, colourful and overwhelming at times but I loved the architecture. Jardin Majorelle (which was owned by Yves Saint Laurent I believe) is a stunning garden tucked away with cacti and other exotic plants and I thoroughly recommend it. I was also lucky enough to go to Copenhagen in July 2012 and I fell in love with it. I was only there for 3 nights but I loved the feel if the place. I liked the fact so many people cycle everywhere and there are proper, safe cycle lanes. I visited as many art galleries and museums as I could in the short time I had. Go there if you have the opportunity. 

...wow, that does sound beautiful, and while on your adventures have you got into any scrapes you could tell us about?
 
Well I am something of a freak magnet and quite often attract the unwanted attentions of odd or creepy people. One that springs to mind was a Finnish chap in Copenhagen. A group of Couchsurfers (couchsurfing.org) had met up in a lovely Cuban restaurant for dinner. We all walked back together and people veered off towards their hotels until it was just me and the Finnish chap. We'd been chatting a bit through the night but not flirting.  He was quite alternative and had barbed wire style tattoos all over his arms and had his tongue split like a snake and had been showing people his tongue. He was en route to London via Copenhagen to have his eyeballs tattooed black, as you do! When we reached my hotel I said goodbye and he lunged at me and tried to kiss me.  I recoiled in horror and said 'what are you doing? I have a boyfriend!' To which he replied 'you have a boyfriend and you've come to Copenhagen on your own? That's just weird!!' This from a man with a split tongue.....

*Bungo asks Boff what a 'split tongue' is* Boff then explains over another piece of the odd tasting pie that some people like to do more extreme body alterations and that fork tongues are popular amongst nutters. That said this pie might taste better if you did have a split tongue. Emma agrees that there's definitely an odd marmite after taste mixed in with the caramel and toffee, "it's definitely got a unique flavour". keeping on track Boff decides to guide the conversation back towards home. Returning to home now, what do you consider as the most important ingredients in a happy and fulfilled life?

I think surrounding yourself with positive people is one of the keys to a happy life. I have unfortunately not always had that but I do now and it makes such a difference. Doing things that make you feel alive, whatever that is for you, is really important. For me that's making art, singing, dancing and making people laugh.

 ...and what about your career aspirations are there any things you would specifically like to achieve in the next five years?

One of the things I would like to do in the next 5-10 years is study again. I have a degree in Contemporary Textile Practice and would like to study Art Therapy. In the past I have worked with homeless people including a stint in a safe house for survivors of trafficking which was an amazing and harrowing experience.

As the interview starts to draw to a close and Madame Cholet starts to prepare a goody bag (there's still quite a lot of pie left) Boff decides to ask one final question of today's guest interviewee. As a final question  I would like to ask you a question about twitter itself, you've mixed it with the mad and the wonderful of the twitter world. If a Martian landed tomorrow how would you explain twitter to them?

Explaining Twitter to a Martian? Hmmm. It's a bit like a giant public chat room where people try to make other people laugh, rant about their day, show off a bit, help each other, slag each other off, poke fun at each other, air their views and generally prattle on. But it's also like a support network if you find some good eggs on there, which I believe I have. It's great fun.

...and with that the interview is at a close. Emma very kindly agrees to stay the rest of the afternoon and host an art class for the wombles but wisely declines to indulge in any more of the pies that are on offer. Emma can be found on twitter swapping limericks and amusing banter. If you would like to see more of her artwork you can find that here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/prettypashminapics

No comments:

Post a Comment